Homeschooling...Ruth Beechick Style!

Natural Learning through real books and real life!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Whew...

We just ended our 2nd week of school. It was our first *full* week. We started a little slow, got into a good pace mid-week and ended on high note!  Well....we did have a VERY slow start to the morning this morning, but when we all got to work we fell back into the groove nicely.

I've only had to change a couple of things so far this year. Usually I know within the first few weeks if something is probably not going to work out well. We might continue one with the program or book in question for a few weeks, just to make sure, but I usually have it pegged those first few weeks.

Zach, my 11th grader, LOVES the Uncle Eric series of books. He's reading his 3rd book from the series. It's the only Uncle Eric book I have schedule for the year. Early in the week, he asked me how many books are in the series and what their titles were. Once he got all the info on the entire series, he asked to read them all.

I'm taking the How to Win Friends and Influence People off the list for right now. It may end up on the list again later in the year, but for right now I'm going to replace that with more reading from the Uncle Eric series.

Another book I replaced was Six Easy Pieces, which is a good introduction to Physics. He just needs more math under his belt before tackling this one. I can hold off on that one until next year. Science Matters is the replacment at least for right now.

Jake, my 8th grader, is doing very well with everything I had planned for  him. The only complaint was about Draw Squad. I had a feeling it would be too easy for  him. I just ordered Artistic Pursuits Jr. High book one for him tonight. Maybe it will be just the right amount of new material for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment